We reach over 1.4 million working horses, donkeys and mules across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
Our staff include vets, animal welfare experts, and advocacy and development specialists.
Brooke at a glance
Brooke is an international charity that protects and improves the lives of horses, donkeys and mules which give people in the developing world the opportunity to work their way out of poverty.
why good animal welfare is important
Brooke in numbers
- 100 million: the number of working horses, donkeys and mules all over the world
- 600 million: the number of people whose lives are supported by working equines
- 13: the number of countries we work in across Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America
- 1.4 million: the number of working horses, donkeys and mules reached by Brooke services in 2021/2022
- 10,000: The number of communities we work with
- 5,000: The number of animal health service providers, vets, paravets and farriers we trained in the last five years
- 8,709: the number of brick kilns we work in
Our vision is of a world in which working horses, donkeys and mules are free from suffering and have a life worth living.
Our mission is to achieve immediate and lasting positive change to the lives of working horses, donkeys and mules and the communities that depend on them.
Our strategic goals and objectives
- Transforming equine welfare in communities.
- Increasing the visibility and inclusion of working equids.
- Strengthening sustainable animal health systems.
Our theory of change
Long term impact:
- Strengthened livelihoods and resilience of equine owning communities.
- Improved behaviour and compassion of equine owners/users and society.
- Strengthened existing animal health systems and services.
- Improved policies, legislation and practice conducive to animal welfare are implemented.